Published on:

Will my insurance company cover me if I’m involved in a car accident?

One important question that arises after a car accident is whether your insurance company will cover the costs of any injuries or damages you may have suffered. Nearly every state, including Illinois, requires its drivers to carry auto insurance. Unfortunately, not everyone follows the law.

A good first step is to determine what type of insurance coverage you have. There are two kinds of auto insurance systems in the United States, at-fault and no-fault. The kind you have most likely depends on where you live. Most states are at-fault states, meaning the driver who is at-fault is legally responsible for any injuries or financial costs that were caused by the accident. Fewer states, for example, Michigan and Florida, have a no-fault system. In a no-fault system, your insurance company pays for the costs of your injuries, regardless of who is at fault. Even fewer states allow drivers to choose either a no-fault or at-fault policy. If you’re not sure what type of coverage you have, check your policy or ask your insurance adjuster. But before dealing with the insurance company, you should talk to an attorney as soon as possible to determine your rights.

To speak with an experienced car accident attorney from the Klest Injury Law Firm, click here, or call 866-264-7639 for a free consultation.

© Joseph G. Klest, 2011.

Contact Information