A propane gas explosion left four injured at an outdoor Chicago café last Wednesday. The accident occurred at Cyrano’s Café, a restaurant located on the Chicago Riverwalk between Michigan Avenue and Columbus Drive. According to the owner of the café, the explosion occurred as cooks were preparing the kitchen for the day. Two of the cooks were injured while working at the Chicago restaurant.
The Chicago Fire Department issued a citation to the downtown Chicago restaurant for several fire code violations. According to spokesman Larry Langford, the restaurant was cited for improper installation of lines and valves on the grill, no certification of installer, improper placement of liquid propane gas tanks and a lack of proper fire suppression or extinguishers for restaurant use. The fire code further requires the restaurant to maintain two 20-pound fire extinguishers designed to put out kitchen fires. A serviceman for AmeriGas attributed the explosion to a minor gas leak in the propane tank. The tank has been repaired.
One victim of the Chicago accident was listed in critical condition while three others were in fair to serious condition. All four were taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital via fire ambulance according to Chicago Fire Department spokesman Quention Curtis. Four other individuals that were slightly injured in the accident declined treatment.
The cooks that were injured in the explosion may have a workers’ compensation claim. Work related injuries are generally covered by the Illinois Workers Compensation Act.